Purpose and Goals
Please watch for Kwu Xast events that are posted on UNB website, and Social Media sites.
- Increase knowledge of syilx (Okanagan) culture and traditions including how our land has always provided for us.
- Bring our community together to create awareness and build self-esteem through physical, emotional, mental and spiritual activities.
- Continue to support IRS survivors and intergenerational survivors on their healing and learning journey and increase pride in language and culture.
- Increase awareness of self; physically, emotionally, intellectually and spiritually.
- Increase traditional knowledge and teachings about family systems, roles and responsibilities: roles of parents, grandparents, aunties, uncles and other extended family members.
- Increased knowledge and use of Syilx ‘Four Food Chiefs Teachings’.
- Increase knowledge and use of traditional calendar: ’13 Moons’: seasons, harvesting and ceremonies.
- Maintain our responsibility within the community to lead the people and care for the land thereby insuring regeneration year after year.
- Understanding our past ensures that we are well in the present thereby laying the foundation for a healthier and happier future.
- Increase responsibility and accountability for children, grandchildren and family.
- Replace shame and trauma based learning with positive learning.